12826847

A couple have cohabited for over 30 years and run business

Customer Question

A couple have cohabited for over 30 years and run business together. The "wife" received £45.00 per week, from which she had to provide food for both. She has run the business single-handed for the past five years due to the "husband's" ill health and acted as a carer for him. Recently, in a conversation with the "husband's" son she has been informed that the property she and partner occupy will be sold. She, apparently, will receive £10,000 and the family car, but will become homeless. Has she any legal rights to any compensation for keeping the business (which is also their living accommodation) going?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Is the woman's name on the title of the property, and if so in what share? Is she named as a director of the business?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. There are no written documents that connect her to the business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is my twin sister and lives some three hundred miles away from me. She is nearly 76 y.o. and it is no age to become homeless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what is happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I really need to know is whether it is worthwhile for her start legal proceedings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I give up. Please return my money.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

Has her partner died?

If not where will he live?

How much is the business worth (best guess will do)