75100385

Sunglasses which went missing while builders were in the

sunglasses which went missing while builders were in the flat.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: We had to have work done in an ensuite as the flat below had damage to the ceiling. This company did the work and some extra work. Sunglasses went missing when only the painters were and the proprietor offered to pay the £150 they cost. There were then complaints about the work done, the offer was withdrawn, and then offered again when they came to put things right. They also offered to do a bit of extra work (i.e. fix a leak that happened after their work) for free, labour and materials, and bring the cash for the sunglasses. The work was done, they left without leaving the money, and then said they had not offered to do that extra work for free materials, so I deducted the £150 from the final invoice and they will not now send me an invoice to claim on the buildings insurance.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you would like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was hoping to do this for the £38 for now, just for a quick reply. I might need a longer discussion on the phone later. Is that possible?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Sure. What is it you want to achieve about your sunglasses? Just to be clear, you havent paid the £150?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I am sorry I hadn't replied earlier. No, I have not paid the £150 because the man offered to leave the cash for them in the flat for my daughter, when he came to do the work on the washbasin which he offered to do for free. He then left the flat without my knowing (there were painters there as well and I was in another room), did not leave the cash, then I paid him the following morning and he now says I owe him £200, the sunglasses and the washbasin materials, and they are refusing to give me an invoice for any of the work (not a receipt, an itemised invoice which I need for the buildings insurance claim). Are they allowed to do that? I thought I would be entitled to receive an invoice, even if only for the work being claimed for (the other work was additional).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I shall be taking this further anyway, because the work is substandard. Another plumber is giving me a report. The work to the ensuite is below standard, the door is on upside down apparently, etc, etc.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Just to be clear they are your sunglasses?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. I own this flat jointly with my daughter and she lives there with her boyfriend and they pay me rent. It was his sunglasses that went missing from a drawer in the sideboard while the painters were there. The builder said in front of her and her boyfriend that he would give her the money and she said she would let him know if they turned up, which they haven't.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I forgot to say that she also promised to refund the money if the sunglasses turned up. They were a gift from her to her boyfriend.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Ok - then you do not need to pay. You have an admission,

If you dont pay they can either write off the sum due or try and take you to Court.

If they take you to Court it would be a small claim and you would not need a Solicitor.

But you have a witness to say that they would pay for the sunglasses. Therefore you do not need to worry or be bullied.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you very much indeed. That is really helpful. I will be back if I need some more advice about the rest of it!
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Of course I will.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Thanks! Ash

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience