Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am visiting in the UK with my son. His father's

I am visiting in the UK with my son. His father's whereabouts are unknown even though I tried to notify him before I left the USA. I am planning now to return to the USA and am concerned that he may have filed kidnapping charges. Would this be possible?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Where was the child born and is the father named on his birth certificate? Where does the child mainly reside and what are the arrangements for the father to see him?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
his nameis on the birth certificate and he was born in the USA. He manly resides in the USA The father has joint custody but is an absentee parent
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Are there any formal court orders in place, if so what?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
None that I am aware of
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Under English law, you would need consent from the father as he has parental responsibility and you may be stopped at the border and questioned about travelling with the child. However, the child appears to permanently reside in America and therefore the father will unlikely have grounds to pursue a report of child abduction.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.