75100385

Is it legal to give a lifetime ban to a member of the public

Customer Question

Is it legal to give a lifetime ban to a member of the public for using public transport?
Trent/Barton alledge I have "soiled a seat" on a past journey & are now trying to bann me from travelling on their buses...
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Are they a private firm please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot afford £44...
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

That is ok, we can keep this online.

Are they a private firm please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think Trent/Barton is a national company but I am not sure...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not Trent/Barton Ltd.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Then yes they can impose a ban.

As long as it is not discriminatory on the grounds of race, colour, religion, age etc they can stop travel.

But if its because you have a disability then again they may be acting illegally.

So depending on the grounds they may be able to stop travel

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seeing as I cannot drive public transport is my only way of getting to/from anywhere. Also they will not provide me with any evidence of the alleged offence.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I see. But that in itself is not discriminatory. It can only be on the grounds of disability, sex, race, religion, age etc.
You could get the Equality Commission to investigate this for you.

They are at; https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Grounds of disability? What does that mean?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If they have stopped you because of a disability, then this can be illegal.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really - it depends on what "disability" means? I cannot find out what the alleged "offence" was...
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010. You're disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

If it comes under this then they can't discriminate against you.

You can see detailed guidance on that meaning at:

https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I can no longer walk long distances because of a broken ankle (3 years ago) which has still not fully healed bus travel is/was my only way of transportation...
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Potentially yes, this is a disability and if they ban you this could be a contravention under the Equality Act.

But you should contact the Equality Commission and they should be able to prosecute, reverse the decision and give you the compensation you rightly deserve as a result of their behaviour.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an e-mail or postal address for the Equality Commission - it may be worth a try?...
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en

Phone: 0808(###) ###-####/p>

Fleetbank House, 2-6 Salisbury Square, London EC4Y 8JX

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I shall contact them & see what they say - I cannot afford a taxi fare whenever I need to go anywhere.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Indeed, they should be able to help. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an e-mail on Friday from Trent/Barton saying cos it was Bank Holiday weekend I could use the buses Saturday, Sunday & Monday. Someone is going to contact me Tuesday so we can discuss the matter further...
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sure. Great news.