12826847

Can the specific details of a restraining order be looked up

Customer Question

Can the specific details of a restraining order be looked up and if so how?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Can you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok-my son harassed someone by email and phone in 2015 and got a restraining order against him. He then broke this by assaulting the person and got sentenced to prison.I know absolutely nothing of why he harasses the person or comments of the trial and seemingly have no way of finding out.
Details I know are he was sentenced in Woolwich crown court on 8th June. Court 8 and the case number ***** T20167124 his name is***** ********
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking if I can secure it?

If so, these orders are not available to the public.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you get them for me. I am his father and would like to know the full details
I thought by law all details had to be made public and looked up the law pages
Obviously I was wrong
I would appreciate if you could do this for me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

it can't be done I'm afraid.

These orders are not available to the public.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll never know then.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Will he not tell you?

Or give permission for his solicitors?

The order would have been served on him,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has given me a story but I don't think it is right. It is highly unlikely involving a rape 21 years ago. It seems a long time to suddenly get angry
And I've no idea who the solicitors were as he won't tell me that.
My relationship with him as you will have gathered is not good
I have helped all I could but to understand him more I need to know the full story but it looks like I never will
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, you are right then.

If he won't give you accurate information then this just can't be done.

Also, this couldn't have been a rape 21 years ago as the restraining order didn't exist then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the restraint order was for recent harassment no action was taken up till now which is strange
What are the law pages for loads of cases are reported in them
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

That can't be right either.

Harassment is subject to limitation unless it is a S4 harassment which is rare.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In fairness, there are historical allegations of rape that are prosecuted but not of harassment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The restraint order was issued in 2015. He broke it a few months later was not granted bail due to the ferocity of his attack and was sentenced in June 2016
There was never any charge of rape against the harassed man as it was allegedly done so long ago
It seems my son used this so that I wouldn't ask too many questions. It may not be the case at all
That's why I would like to know
Thanks again
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't sound particularly likely from what you have said.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It is certainly not right to say that it wasn't charged because the rape was old. Half the cases being prosecuted are historical sexual abuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No you're right but I have absolutely no way of ever knowing this and if I want to know full details of cases tried in Woolwich crown court up to this particular time they're all in the law pages even secret trials
Funny old world eh
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The only other option is local newspapers.

I go to Woolwich fairly often and it is not a court attended by the local press.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I know
I scanned all the papers in his area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you jo c
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

All the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jo.c,
I appreciate your position but found it very very expensive for an answer which
Was of no help whatsoever. You were attentive though.
I won't go into detail but was able to obtain a very clear path for the solution to my problem
And this will,hopefully quickly produce a result. With all due respect I don't think I would use this service again.
Incidentally,you never did answer my question "what are the law pages for?,if not recording cases"
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The law pages report appeals.

There is a court transcript in the crown court but it isnt available save for those with a nexus to the case.

All the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Jo.c, not being cheeky or argumentative and don't read it that way but those law pages are available to anyone.I scan them consistently but cannot find the one case I want so cannot see why there should be any difficulty if I can look up case after case with full details. Someone like yourself should have little difficulty if they're all open for viewing but perhaps not up to date.
There seems to be something odd here.
It's just I paid so much and read cases of bombing/rape/arson/GBH etc in Woolwich and all over the country. And indeed was advised to look there but can't get the one I want.
You can surely appreciate my perplexion?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There are online sites that randomly report the findings of courts but they are not transcripts and they are not in every case.

Usually they go for sensational cases - they are basically newspapers online as the entire industry is now online.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There are website that have case law but that online arises if there are appeals and even they don't contain the transcript of the Crown Court hearing or any ancillary orders unless that is the nature of the appeal.

Those are generally paying sites although bailli is free.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Woolwich Crown Court is a terrorist court which is why security is so high. It is fair to say they haven't heard terrorist cases for years but they do hear serious cases that are going to be more interesting to the press than this I'm afraid.

Even then they wouldn't normally report the restraining order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,I'm not hugely interested in the restraining order although I would like the details. I'm not greatly interested either in the name of the person assaulted. All I want are the broad details of the GBH crime and why it was carried out .
It's how it arose I'm interested in as I believe I was told a cock and bull yarn and would like the truth but although it's me arguing I can see I'm getting nowhere and will just have to grin and bear it. Oh gord the expense and all this secrecy!
Thanks Jo.C
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The only other alternative is to try googling his name and see if it was reported somewhere online.

Sometimes that does call up reports. The advantage of the internet is that it freezes time.