Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I had a one night stand which resulted in a pregnancy.

I had a one night stand which resulted in a pregnancy. Mother chose to keep the baby, born in June. I made it clear I don't want to be actively involved in the child's life. It was never meant to be than just a one night stand. I suffer from adult ADHD and currently receive ESA and PIP payments. I am regularly seen by my phsychiatrist who is helping me deal with the emotional impact this has had on me and my relationship with my long term girlfriend. However, the mother is threatening to tell my parents, whom I have not yet been able to tell. Does she have a legal right to tell my family against my wishes? She says she doesn't want or expect anything from me but wants the child to have a relationship with its grandparents. Does she have the legal power to make that call?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you in England or Wales and how old is the child?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Child was born in June, so 3 months.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Are you in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm in England
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Legally, the child has a right to a relationship with its extended family - including grandparents. It is likely that the mother wishes to exercise this and it would be difficult to prevent her from doing so - legally if she tells them she is not breaking any laws.

However, given the sensitivity of the issue, I would suggest that you amicably agree with her that you will tell them yourself as this would likely be better than it coming out of the blue from her.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.