12826847

I owned my own house when I met my 'husband'. Since then, he

Customer Question

I owned my own house when I met my 'husband'. Since then, he has done exactly what he likes. Down the pub everyday. Gambling and treating me with no respect and leaving me feeling lonely and desperate. I have still maintained the house and kept it clean. He has always said that it was my house and why should he bother. Now that we are getting divorced, he says half is his. I have a lot less now then when I maarried him. He has never invested in the house apart from a conservatory, which was my idea to put value on the house. I have paid half to this addition. I would like to stay in my house. But I understand that the law starts at 50 percent. This seems so unfair. I paint and clean and keep the house in good order. He goes to the pub and is in bed at 6 oclock. Is it worth fighting. He says he wants 80 thousnd pounds. The house is worth about 210 thousand. Although I have had it on the market and cant sell. I am scared of going to court because of the costs. I thought maybe he would accept 40 thousand. There is so much more to this. Abuse, though not in an obvious way, and the gambling and me paying off debts. I have applied for decree nisi, which has been accepted. and he had returned the form. Do I accept his demand or fight it. Is it worth the costs.
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What is the outstanding mortgage?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am 66 and he is 72. 20 years. NO. 16 thousand. I am beneficiary. Before, in 2011 it was in my name, but . in my opinion,he conned me into putting my house in his name, by getting a loan which I didnt need.I have two pensions. State pension, about 1600. and a private pension of 380, per month for both. He had a state pension of about 600 per month, and a private pension
of 700 pounds per month
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, My state pension is 600, not 1600. Please notice .this. It will be important.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We moved to Spain in 2003. He still treated me badly. I finally got out in 2010. Selling my house and paying off debts. Urbinisation fees and other things. I lost a lot of money but moved on. He would not leave me alone, ringing me everday, and in the end, I gave in. That was when I put the house in both our names, which I cant believe I did. He has carried on. Doing the same old thing. Pub and bed.. Sorry, this is not factual. But these things do have a bearing on the situation .My main questions are, can I stay in the house I have now got, is it worth going to court if he wont accept 40 thousand, he wants 80. It will leave us both basically homeless. If it starts at 50 50 , and then moves backwards or forewards, where does that leave us, me?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have two children from my preious marriage. I dont want them to lose out. His children are sorted, because his ex wife kept what she had and married a nice man. It breaks my heart to think my kids are going to lose out to someone who so does not deserve it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
who do i contact now
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Apologies for the delay - just need you to confirm the value of the property and outstanding mortgage to ensure that your figures are correct.

Also, please confirm any other assets at all you both have, either owned solely or jointly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
value of house about 225 thousand, and mortgage 16 thousand.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is lthere another solicitor available right now.
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Is the mortgage £16,000 or £160,000?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
will you answer my question/
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you cant answer my question right now,but are you able to answer my problem online.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can I change to another solicitor?
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

I am happy to refer you to another colleague, but you have not confirmed the question I have asked which will be very relevant to any information you are given: Is the mortgage £16,000 or £160,000?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have requested a phone call, because you ask me about the mortgage. You know my number, why dont you ring me.
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately I cannot take a phone call at the moment