75100385

Over four years ago I paid for a family history research

Good afternoon. Over four years ago I paid for a family history research service. It was somewhere in the region of £600. Since then, I have had little contact with the person - I have sent him emails with the information of details and photographs I've had, and aside from him occasionally acknowledging the emails, I have heard absolutely nothing from him. I've sent emails chasing him, I've left messages on his website, I called him on his 0845 number, when he apologises and promises an update, then I hear nothing from him again. I have tried reporting him to Kent Trading Standards (he is based in Gravesend) but they haven't returned my call. Could you possibly advise what I could do next, please?
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How did you pay for the family history service?
Do you know the sellers address?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Ash - I paid via online banking (but unfortunately cannot remember which account I paid from) and yes, I do know the seller's address
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay - not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. I do not want to pay £47 per month for this service, I thought it was a £47 one-off fee for a 30-min consultation, but I'm not seeing any replies. Perhaps I ought to cancel my request and reclaim my payment?
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already told the chap I am going to take him to court (have sent several emails and told him on the telephone that I will do so, but he has just ignored me). I spoke to the 0845 number the other day and someone answered, then hung up the phone. I've tried contacting the Trading Standards Office who have not returned my calls, and I've tried to complete the online Small Claims Court form, but it is very confusing. So I know what I need to do, but am hitting brick walls, so I think I may have just wasted another £47 asking you. Could you please just confirm that I will not be paying £47 per month for this answer, as this is not what I wanted. Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

You can add the £47 to the cost of the claim.

Have you tried completing the claim form online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk ?
If so, which part are you stuck on and I can help?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, my CC company just called to ask me about this payment transaction to you, as it was apparently suspicious. Could you please just confirm that this is just a one-off payment of £47, and I haven't subscribed to £47 per month - I do not wish to do that. Thanks. As for the money.gov website, at the moment it is saying 'Whoops - Page Broken' so I can't tell you where I've got stuck. I'll have to try again at a later date, but do it on my own, as I can't afford to pay another £47 to help me to fill out a form. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

One off - yes.

Sure, its a one off question so when you get back to moneyclaim.gov.uk - I can help you. Just come back to this question and we can work through the form together.

Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much, Ash - I was worried that I'd signed up to something I couldn't get out of then. Phew! Thanks for your advice - that's all for now. Enjoy your weekend.
Kind regards,
Liane
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

Dont worry you haven't. In the meantime if I could ask you to rate my service to you before you go today.

The question does NOT close and you can come back to it and ask follow up questions for free.