How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2734
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Can u give me advice re. the financial situation regarding a

Resolved Question:

can u give me advice re. the financial situation regarding a property being sold as a result of a relationship (not marriage) split.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my daughter and her partner bought their bungalow 4 years ago each putting in £15,000 deposit. Since then my daughter has put in a further £45,000 towards the cost of an extension. The relationship has now ended and the bungalow has to be sold. Is it right that both partners can take out the money they have individually put in before dividing the remainder 50/50. Mortgage and bills are paid equally by both and the property was bought as joint tenants. Hope to hear from you shortly.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are they in England or Wales?

-Are there any formal agreements or deeds of trust regarding the contributions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In England.
No, there are no deeds of trust.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. The legal position will be that they are each entitled to 50% of the proceeds of sale despite their unequal contributions. However, if no agreement can be reached and she can demonstrate intention regarding her being compensated for her contributions then she can apply to her local county court using form N1 and a £355 court fee to pursue this.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you