Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner and I parted and he moved out of the property

My partner and I parted and he moved out of the property approx 2yrs ago. He continued to pay half the mortgage, half the council tax and his half of the life insurance. I stayed in the property with my son who is 19 and at university and paid all the bills and supported my son. We had an endowment policy which was in both our names which he paid. This was cashed in and he kept the cash (this was not agreed). I would like advice as to whether it would be be in my best interest to accept his offer. or agree to an offer which includes future growth). Towards the end of the relationship he started to neglect the proprty. If I wanted to fix or improve things he would tell me not to do it. I now feel it wa to drive down the value of the property when he came to value it.(He has told my son that he intends to "fix it up and rent it out"). Hope to hear from you soon.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-Whose name is ***** ***** in and in what shares is title held?

-What is the value of the property amd outstanding Mortgage?

-What is his offer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI, thanks for answering,No we were not married, we were together for 26 years of which 24 we owned property.
The property is registered in both our names on a 50/50 basis
The value of the property is approx £300,000 but could have been worth more if not for his neglect.
The outstanding mortgage is £135,000
At the moment I have not received my offer, but it seems he has his morgage offer and has sorted out the equity release already.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the confirmation. As you jointly own the property and are not married you are each legally entitled to an equal share of the proceeds and you should be entito half the endowment, so any offer should take that into account.

If the lower market value can be shown to be down to his fault then you can check with the estate agents regarding how much the value would be if the issues are sorted out and if he seeks to keep the property and buy out your share then it can be negotiated on this basis.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.