Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

We have lived at this property we are renting from a private

Customer Question

We have lived at this property we are renting from a private landlord since 2001,we had a tenancy agreement up to 2009,since than we don't have any agreement, my question is in case the Landlord dies, can the new owner or the person who Inherits the property evict us ?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

The position is that the tenancy agreement of 2009 continues to cover the situation in a slightly different form.

By this I mean it becomes a periodic tenancy and it can be terminated in the same way as the 2009 tenancy agreement could have been terminated. This means you would have to be served with notice terminating the tenancy and giving you time to leave. You cannot simply be evicted

As such you are no better or worse off.

Best regards

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt response,
What sort of Notice period would they have to give ?
Are we considered as Sitting Tenants by any chance ?

The same notice as in the 2009 agreement or, if that is silent on notice, the same period as you pay rent, usually a month as the rent is paid each month.

You are not sitting tenants in the sense that do have a tenancy agreement that has continued to roll over.

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope I am only being Charged £56.
No Subricription please.Kind regards
Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope I am only being £56 ?
No subricption please.

Hi I am responding to your reply as you show up as an unanswered question.

Experts do not deal with the administration but your request about not having a subscription will be passed on by the moderators

Michael