Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My friend is in hospital for mental health problems and the

My friend is in hospital for mental health problems and the landlord is applying for eviction , can she be evicted even though she is in hospital therefore she can not appear at court to defend herself?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question.

-Is she in England or Wales

-What kind of tenancy does she have?

-What are the reasons for eviction and what stage has the landlord reached?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi , she is in England, she has an assured shorthold tenancy , last letter she has received was an order for possession by the county court and another from dcbltd saying the landlord intentions of taking it to the high court enforcement
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she always worked but she got ill back in November 15 so she has for housing benefit and they are getting that , she had her daughter at that time but still she wasn't getting the full rent rent , so she was behind with 200 pounds a month but there is the deposit, so I guess she is not in much arrears , they say they want to sell the place
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm just worried that the landlord can access to the house and she will loose all her stuff, everything in her house it's hers
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, as it is an assured shorthold tenancy she has little chance of attempting to keep the property especially as a possession order has been granted. The landlord will now have the right to apply for a Notice of Eviction which states the date and time that the property must be handed back, and on this date and time the bailiff can force their way in to claim possession. She has the right to apply to suspend the notice, but as it is an AST it will only be for a small amount of time, but this will be difficult if she is in hospital.

Upon repossession the landlord cannot dispose of her property and must store these for a short time until arrangements are made by her. It will therefore be important to communicate with the landlord so that they are aware of her situation.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.