Can the CSA take my deferred pension. I am 67 years old and

Customer Question

can the CSA take my deferred pension . I am 67 years old and they have just contacted me saying I owe them from1990 . In my mind I don't owe them anything . So do I take my deferred pension now ???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. When there are CSA arrears the CSA will need to recover the outstanding amount within 24 months of notifying you and you can reach agreement on a monthly amount on this basis with them.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** i have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

The CSA do not have to collect the arrears within two years of notifying you at all - they just always try and do so.

If the CSA believe that you are in arrears then then will pursue you and they can indeed take money from your pension - or take your passport or your driving licence or your house.

Whether of not you owe them anything in your mind you need to find out whether or not there are arrears and deal with them

You should contact them - in writing - and ask for a full accounting so that you can refute the claims properly

Please ask if you need further details