29905560

Employed in GP practice for 6 years - nurse practitioner &

Customer Question

Employed in GP practice for 6 years - nurse practitioner & non medical prescriber carry out see and treat and investigations to diagnose long term conditions like COPD and diabetes - new practice manger spoke to me last week as my indemnity insurance has almost double in the last year through no fault of my own nursing 36yrs no serious complaints they are asking me to train a clinical pharmacist who has no prescribing training yet and would like to review my job at the end of the year and will not be paying my indemnity insurance at the higher rate so my contact will be revised they will not be insuring me at nurse preactitioner level but as a practice nurse - which will most probably mean a pay cut - can they do this ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Are you working as an employee or self employed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Employed 30 hours a week since Januay 2010
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In the circumstances it is likely that this may amount to a redundancy situation. This is because the employer would no longer be needing someone in your position and this would trigger a redundancy. This can be entirely lawful and the reasons for it will rarely be challenged. In this case they have increased costs to blame for this and this is a common reason.

If there is a redundancy situation, an employer has a duty to offer those employees at risk any suitable alternative employment (“SAE”) that may exist at the time. The objective is to keep the employee in a job rather than make them redundant. Therefore, if an employee accepts an offer of SAE, their employment will continue in the new position and they would lose their entitlement to a redundancy payment.

If the offer is considered unsuitable and the employee refuses it, they will be made redundant and still receive redundancy pay. However, if the offer was suitable and the employee unreasonably refuses it, they would effectively be resigning and will lose their entitlement to redundancy pay.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the factors that may make an offer unsuitable and your rights in that situation, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.