Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Sons girlfriends dad has my sons motorbike in his garage.

Customer Question

Sons girlfriends dad has my sons motorbike in his garage. Refusing to give it back.
They all went on holiday together and my son and the father had an argument and the father attacked my son. Damage was done to a door by a) my son punching it and b) the father kicking it open to attack my son. This caused my son to receive broken toes and needed hospital treatment and medication which he had to pay for. Son left villa and had to find alternative accommodation and also we had to pay for an alternative flight home.
Father wants my son to pay for damage to the door before he returns his motorbike. As they both damaged the door and my son and I are out of pocket, what's can we do? Thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Is the motorbike registered in your son's name?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Did the police get involved with the assaults, if so what did they do?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No as it was in Turkey and my son was sobbing on the phone and I just told him to get out and go the airport. I asked police here if there's anything we can do and they said not unless he's threatens or assaults him in this country.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. The legal position is that her father cannot keep the motorbike and must return it. The legal owner is your son and him withholding it will give your son grounds to take the matter to the local county court for the return of the motorbike. He should first write him a formal letter explaining that he is unlawfully withholding the motorbike and provide a reasonable time to return it to him, after which he can proceed to his local county court and submit form N1 and a £355 court fee to obtain a court order requiring him to return it.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. You've given me something to work with. Sincerely ***** ***** clear, understandable advice.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris