F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My neighbor upstairs posted a note in the communal hallway,

My neighbor upstairs posted a note in the communal hallway, which I was mentioned in directly, accusing me and another neighbor of blatant untruths. Just weeks earlier I had made a complaint about my neighbour to our housing officer, who after investigating the complaint agreed with my position on the matter. Did my neighbour commit libel, as I found the note unsettling considering it was posted in the hallway for all to see?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

If it contained things which were blatantly not true and the contents would lower your esteem in the minds of right-thinking people, then you have been defined and the culprit has committed libel by publishing a statement to 3rd parties.

Unless you want to spend tens of thousands of pounds, a solicitors letter threatening court action but not actually going ahead with it is probably as far as you would want to go. The solicitor would threaten legal proceedings unless there was an apology and the allegation withdrawn.

If this is part of a campaign which has happened on more than one occasion, then it could be harassment and that is a police matter.

Please rate the service positive. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

We can still exchange emails. Best wishes. FES.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi there, my question is, what would happen in the case where a letter from a solicitors to my neighbour threatening court proceedings unless there was an apology & the allegation withdrawn, is challenged and my neighbour decides not to do either and try to take it further herself, considering your advice that that's as far as I should look to take it myself?