75100385

A group of us had decided to create a website for writers.

A group of us had decided to create a website for writers. We all agreed on the terms and conditions that work stays up for 12 months before it can be taken down, and everyone who posts on the site agrees to this before submitting their work.
A member of our group offered to help design the site and its coding, and agreed to the deadline that bugs needed to be fixed, as some of them left our data vulnerable. When the deadline was reached and the bugs were still not fixed, and thus our data vulnerable, we initiated our 'Plan B' which was previously agreed on and moved to another platform so we could fix it a different and simpler way.
The member of our group did not respond well to this and left, now putting it on social media that we ousted him. He has messaged us multiple times to remove his work from the site, he has also told us we have until 6pm today to remove his coding from the website or be in breach of copyright, and to remove ourselves from his 'gneiss' platform although we signed an agreement that it could be used indefinitely. While we tried to explain that we will be leaving the 'gneiss' it would take a lot longer than 24 hours as we have people's work on the site, not just our own but work from the community as well as their data to protect. He has remained stubborn and spammed our page about it.
This morning we found he'd logged into something called CloudFlare which our site was a part of, changed emails and passwords and shut down our site. We managed to get it up again but I am quite alarmed as I do not quite understand copyright laws. We of course will be taking down his work as a courtesy but since terms and conditions come into play are we even allowed to? Are we breaching copyright if we have his code? Since I do not understand computer programming that well, and someone else designs it and it looks like his code, could he still threaten us with copyright? We're not even a small business but now he's threatening us with copyright and slandering us and it is quite alarming. What could we do to protect ourselves, our work and our contributors?
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear, this person agreed to the terms and conditions saying it could be on the site for a year?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He agreed and even helped design the terms and conditions.
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.

Well in that case you didn't need to take it down. He agreed to the terms and conditions. Therefore this was a binding contract.

Just because he changed his mind doesn't mean you need to take it down - you don't. He agreed.

But you did and that's fine. Although you didn't need to.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My concern now is about the code, which he's been threatening about copyright. It isn't as simple as removing his work because it is the foundation of our site, and while we signed a lifetime license agreement to use gneiss, which I believe is his, we can't just shut it all down. How does copyright work for designing code?
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.

He agrees to it. He can't change his mind! But you have 12 months to find an alternative.

Does that clarify?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does. Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.

Have a great bank holiday