Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I would appreciate some advice: I am a father, British

I would appreciate some advice: I am a father, British otherwise than by descent. Daughter turning 18 in a couple of weeks, born out of wedlock. I never got married to her mother. My daughter born out of the UK can apparently register now as a British National (by descent). Should I/she apply for registration before her 18th birthday or is it not time critical? Also she will be studying in the UK as of this coming term and is likely to spend the few coming years there. Would it be best to consider Naturalization as a way for her to obtain a British nationality otherwise than by descent? Thank you. MC
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Firstly, it is imperative that you register the Foreign birth of your daughter in the UK before her 18th birthday, as otherwise she might lose the right to British citizenship. This is essential if she is to obtain full British citizenship. She should, if possible, seek to immediately obtain a British passport and full citizenship, as this will then endure for the rest of her life. It will also entitle her to a Home level of fees if she is studying in a British university which is considerably less than the Overseas rate.

2. Here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out the requirements https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/children-born-outside-uk. You will see that it is essential that the birth gets registered before she is 18. You will also see that the relevant form is "MN1". You should download this form and fill in it immediately.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.