How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8444
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a company name called "Visit Us LTD" but we have been

Customer Question

I have a company name called "Visit Us LTD" but we have been trading under "Visit Carlingford" since 2012. This year another company has set up "Visit Carlingford LTD" offering what we offer trying to sell our business. We have built up a great reputation but this is now really starting to impart on our business. I wanted to see if there is anything we can do seeing as we have been trading as Visit Carlingford for so long? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

Just because they have registered a limited company doesn’t mean that they can trade as that limited company. It means simply that the limited company name was available.

They have clearly decided that you have a good name and that they would grab it to try to live off the back of yours.

They are “passing off” by choosing a name which is so close to yours.

I suggest you get a solicitor to write to them to tell them to either change their company name and their trading style failing which you will make an emergency application to court for an injunction (and legal costs) to prevent them continuing to use the name and you will also be seeking damages and compensation from them in respect of any loss of business this causes you.

They would take more notice if that letter comes from a solicitor than if it comes from you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

We can still exchange emails. Best wishes. FES.

F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8444
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi FESThank you for your quick reply.This is great to no something can be done as I wasn't sure seeing as they have Visit Carlingford LTD registered and I thought this would work in their favor. Our website is and they have even registered just to catch our business.Thank you for this I will contact a solicitor and push on with it.Best wishes
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

With regard to the website, you need to put a claim into Nominet.

You can have the domain transferred into your name because they have no right to it if they are just trying to live off the back of your business and they only registered the domain after you were trading.

Domain squatting, is not illegal and they are able to do it.

If they had the name registered for a long time and you started trading sometime afterwards, then they are allowed to keep the name (but not use it) and they could sell it to you even at an inflated price.

However, what they can’t do is see someone else’s name who is already trading and then go and register domains in that name to prevent the one that is already trading getting it.

You need to tell the firm (solicitor will tell them) that unless they agree to transfer that domain to you, you will file a complaint with Nominet.

It is some years since I dealt with one of these claims to Nominet but I do know there is quite a substantial fee (it was about £600) for submitting the claim.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for all this I wasnt sure what to do. I will get onto this tomorrow.Thanks again and if I think of anything else il be in touch again.Kind regards
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

If you ask forme personally, “For FES only”, you will then be dealing with me because I obviously know the background.

Best wishes.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice