75100385

I reported a crime but the police cannot find the suspect

I reported a crime but the police cannot find the suspect how long do they have to keep looking .
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Police have said they are looking for a person I have reported as assaulting me but cannot find him . I reported him 5 months after the event and they have been looking for him for 3 months and have not found him . How long before they close the case?
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

If its a common assault then they have 6 months to find and charge.

If its a more serious assault then there is no time limit on when they can charge.

However if they cant find the person, its up to the force when they close the case. It really depends on whether there are any leads or anything - if not, then sadly in reality the case may be closed.

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you .
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.