F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I vacated a property 2 weeks before the end of my tenancy as

Customer Question

Hello. I vacated a property 2 weeks before the end of my tenancy as new tenants were ready to move in. An agency asked me to transfer the payment for the full month, but half will be returned together with the deposit. I received my deposit back, but residual amount from the rent is still not returned. The agency stopped responding my emails about updates too. It was in the beginning of June. What can I do?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

You vacated two weeks early but, at what stage did the new tenant actually move in and start paying rent?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I vacated the property on 10th of June. An agent told me that new tenants should move in shortly after, I assume it's 13th of June. All payments were done through the agency and I had no supervision over that. They told me a landlord agreed with our agreement.

Thank you. You need to ascertain exactly when the new tenant moved in.

Your liability to pay rent continues until that date.

After that date, the new tenant is liable and the landlord is obliged to return any overpaid rent, from that day onwards.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

We can still exchange emails. Best wishes. FES.