Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband has bipolar, hypomania. We've also got a 2 y/o

Customer Question

My husband has bipolar, hypomania. We've also got a 2 y/o son. Last month my husband was detained under the mental health act and children services got involved. (Child Protection Assessment). I've been told by the SW that there will a CP conference as they're concerned that our son could have an impact with my husband's condition in the future. They're looking at factors that come with his condition i.e. excessive drinking, being aggressive etc.As a mother, if my husband starts to feel unwell my son will live with family members until my husband is treated/hospitalised, (1-3wks). Is that good enough for them?Can they remove our son from our family home?I'm sure my husband's consultant will be at the conference, if his opinion is that there are no significant risk of harm, can they take this into consideration?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Social services will want to ensure that your son is not at risk of any emotional or physical harm or neglect when in your care. A mental health illness in itself is not a bar to caring for a child, but it will be his condition when unwell that will be of their concern and it is something that his consultant can assist with and outline - his opinion will be very helpful. You will need to demonstrate that you have insight into his illness and relapse indicators and that you have a plan in place to safeguard your son when your husband's health deteriorates.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, Harris. My husband's prognosis is good, he recovers quickly. My son will have to stay with family members for a minimum of 2wks, the s/w thinks that it could have an emotional impact on him - anything i say she's twisting and turning it round! - will she have a last say at the conference, as she's very negative towards my husband's condition and ironically she has no knowledge of bipolar and thinks the worst of it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Harris, i've one more question before I rate your service, in 2011 i had problems getting my husband admitted at the hospital and I called 999 and asked for help, i made outt that my husband was being violent and aggressive towards me....the police were at the scene within 15mins! - My husband was assessed at the station and detained. On the police record they have documented that he was physically abusive towards me and i'm regarded as a victim!!! - If i were to retract this will i be jeopardising my situation?