How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We are Building service contractors. We have a verbal

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir,
We are Building service contractors.
We have a verbal agreement for 3 no contracts which have run for 5 Years on a continuous basis without any problems either side.
The contracts are for service works covering parish Centers owned by the Liverpool RC Archdiocese as gas safety checks, electrical inspection and PAT testing.
The value of these contracts is £ 50,000 per year.
The current management have terminated all the contracts without reason or payment in lieu of notice.
They sent me a letter saying the works has been passed to another Company.
I understand they have to run their business and change over to another Company for some reason or other.
Am I entitled to payment in lieu of notice or compensation due to forward expenditure I have made.
I have carried out works for this organization over 25 years.
Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

Hello Ken my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How much are you seeking to claim please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Ash,
At least one Month as 1/12 of the total contract value £ 52,650.00 / 12 = £ 4387.50.
Am I entitled to claim this in lieu of notice?Thank youKen
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

The difficulty is you have no contract. But you could seek to say there is an implied contract by conduct.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment of £4387.50 within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello AshThank you for pointing me in the right direction.
It is not about the money, it is the way these people the RC Church representatives have treated this Company.Thank youKen Sexton

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice