Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My partner is English and, we are due to be married next

My partner is English and I am Polish, we are due to be married next year. Will i automatically get the British Passport?
Also our daughter was born two weeks ago, what is the situation here? will she get a British Passport automatically?
I would like her to have a Polish Passport in the future as well, taking this into consideration will applying for British passport be a different process then if she was only to have Bristish nationality?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. Dear *****tian, you don't automatically get a British passport upon marrying a British citizen. Instead, you need to live in the UK for five years continuous residence and then you will get British citizenship and a passport. Secondly, your daughter will get UK citizenship by descent because one of her parents is a British citizen. However, it is essential that you register the birth and take out UK citizenship for her before she reaches 18 years of age.

2. Your daughter can hold dual british and Polish citizenship. The process of applying for UK citizenship is no different if she already holds Polish citizenship. If your child was born outside the UK she fills in Form MN1 at this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-register-child-under-18-as-british-citizen-form-mn1

If your child was born in the uK there is no need to register.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi,Thank you for your help.Kind regards
Christian