31090051

MY CAR BROKE DOWN AND WAS RECOVERED BY A GARAGE TO BE

MY CAR BROKE DOWN AND WAS RECOVERED BY A GARAGE TO BE REPAIRED. I PICKED THE CAR UP WHEN IT WAS REPAIRED. I HAVE SINCE BEEN GETTING DEMANDS FOR AN UNPAID PARKING CHARGE NOTICE AS THE CAR HAD BEEN LEFT ON PRIVATE LAND NEXT TO THE GARAGE.THERE WAS NO TICKET ON THE CAR WHEN I PICKED IT UP. I HAVE REFUSED TO PAY AND AM BEING THREATENED WITH COURT ACTION. I DID NOT GO WITH THE CAR WHEN IT WAS RECOVERED SO WAS UNAWARE OF ANY PARKING RESTRICTIONS. MY ARGUMENT IS THAT THE CAR WAS IN THE CARE OF THE GARAGE AND THEY ARE THE LEGAL KEEPER UNTIL I SETTLE THE BILL. APPARENTLY THERE IS A FAMOUS CASE WHERE A MAN WAS PROSECUTED FOR STEALING HIS OWN CAR FROM A GARAGE WHILST TRYING TO AVOID PAYING THE REPAIR BILL. WHAT IS YOUR VIEW ON THIS.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

For any number of reasons you are not responsible for this charge. You weren't the person who put the car there. You didn't know about it. They have issued the penalty to you as registered keeper of the vehicle. That is incompetent. If there is any liability it is on the driver of the vehicle who put the car there. You comments about the garage being the legal keeper and the "famous case" aren't really in point except to the extent that you can't be held responsible for whoever was driving and parking the vehicle whilst it was in their care. You should ignore these demands assuming you have already explained the situation to the parking company. If they sue you, they will lose on the narrative you have given me. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.