How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10528
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Holding a British passport, I'm living in a rented flat

Resolved Question:

Good afternoon..I am British, holding a British passport, I'm living in a rented flat close to Birmingham airport. I am 69 y/ old, and have state pension, and 2 small private pensions.
I fly to Nepal next week to marry a girl I met on holiday 3 years ago. She is single, no children, and I want her to travel back with me on 22 September to spend a few weeks with me in Birmingham then get married here at local register office....Is this possible she can travel here,if so, what documents would she require, and how long would she be allowed to visit for.???...Would she be required to return to Nepal after such a visit.???.....Regards,....***** *****. ( robertsmith2452?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She holds a Nepalese passport. Would she have any priority as she will be married to me ( i.e. My wife.)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I / we....understand she will not be allowed to work here in UK, or claim benefits or medical attention, but we want to start a limited company here imorting fancy goods from Nepal to market in Uk & Ireland....She will be a director of the company,so does that help her cause..??...Sorry, must go out now, will await your reply here or b y e.mail later / tomorrow....Regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear *****, you have two options here. Firstly, you can apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa, which will entitle your wife to be to enter the UK for the purposes of marriage. This visa will last for six months and she will be able to get married in the UK on the basis of it. However, at the end of the six months she will have to leave the UK and then apply for a more permanent visa as your spouse.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

2. Here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out the requirements for a Marriage Visitor Visa and the form to use in applying for it

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

3. The second option is to apply for a visa as partner of you on the basis you have a subsisting relationship for two years. Here, you would have to provide evidence that you were living together or involved in some settled relationship for two years. Sharing of joint expenses, living together, sharing holidays. All these things would help. However, it is not sufficient to merely have known her for these two years.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

4. This is a more permanent visa as it lasts for 2.5 years and gives the right to live and work in the UK. here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out how to apply for it and the application form to use

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

5. Be aware that this visa as a partner, or a subsequent visa as wife, both require that you earn in excess of GBP 18,600 per annum and that you have savings to support her. This is a requirement for any permanent visa you will need to bring her into the country.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

6. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions