29905560

I contacted a local tree company to quote for the felling of

i contacted a local tree company to quote for the felling of a tree. They came to my property and gave me a quote on the tuesday , that i accepted there and then, stating that a needed it doing the same week, they text back a a date as agreed it was the thursday, i text back to confirm the date and time was ok, on the wednesday i got a cheaper quotation so i called and text to cancel the work the next day at 7 the night before the work was due to commence , am i liable for cancellation
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Has the initial company said that you need to go through with it and pay?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they call to say that it was unfair as they had no other work for that day as it was allocated to me and the night before was to short notice to find other work ?

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. A legally binding contract is generally formed when there is an offer, an acceptance and consideration. There was clearly an offer and an acceptance here because an offer was made for the work in question and it was accepted by agreeing it and booking a time and date. Consideration would take the form of the company setting aside the time for this, so perhaps making it unavailable for other business. Therefore, it is very likely that a legally binding contract would have been created for you to have the work done by the company. If you then cancelled this contract, you could be acting in breach of contract and be liable for any losses suffered by the company. So if they end up losing work as a result, after all they have lost your custom and could have had other work in your place but did not take it. S if they are unable to find a replacement for your cancellation then you may indeed be liable for covering some of their losses. However, don’t just assume you have to pay them. Whilst in a strict legal sense they may be able to claim that, the only way they can force you to do so would be if they took you to court and won. This is a long way away and there is certainly no guarantee that they will ever go that far. Chances are that they won’t as this is just a cancellation of some work, they have not suffered major losses and it would not be worth their time and money to go through court to pursue this. So they may make requests for cancellation compensation but remember that you can refuse and the only you can be forced to pay them is if they made a court claim and won. You can see how far they take it, for example if they do make a claim you can reconsider your position and try to negotiate a settlement with them.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the liabilities you may have if they did claim and won, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ben I am happy with your response
Thanks Ian

Many thanks, ***** ***** best