29905560

Easyjet charged me for an 'additional' bag when getting on a

Customer Question

Easyjet charged me for an 'additional' bag when getting on a flight earlier this year. The additional bag was a laptop bag. I had already paid for additional legroom which includes 'In addition you can bring one small under seat bag (handbag/laptop) which must be placed under the seat in front.'
I've sent several emails to Easyjet on this; the initial replay was that I had been incorrectly charged, they then rescinded this saying the bag was to big (how do they know retrospectively?). I've now been promised 'they would look into it' this was several weeks ago and the latest emails they just do not answer.
I still have the bag, my boarding pass which has the statement about the additional bag and the receipt for the extra charge which was E60
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago was this? Also, how long after paying the additional fee did you contact them about it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Ben,
I'm working in Thailand so I'll not phone, but;Date of the flight was 27/04/16, Amsterdam to London Gatwick. I paid the fee at the gate. My initial contact was 13.05.16. I've added relevant correspondence below, there are other exchanges but these are mainly form Easyjey stating they will get back to me within X days . . .

Please can you tell me if you live in Thailand too?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I live and work in Thailand on a fixed contract, I'm classed as a UK resident. I am a UK (born and bred) national

OK thank you. Thank you also for the attachments; please leave it with me. I will be in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. If you did buy an extra legroom seat and that entitled you to an extra bag within specified dimensions, then on the assumption that the bag did fit these dimensions you should not have been charged the additional fees to bring this bag with you on board. Whilst I understand that you are currently going through the internal complaints procedure, you have to remember that this is just an internal process and may not be as expeditious as expected or even produce the desired outcome. If that is the case and you have followed this to completion without a successful resolution then you can consider taking the matter further. For now you will have to proceed with the internal complaints procedure as far as possible.

If you need to take matters further after you have received their final response, then you have a couple of options. Depending on where your flight started from or landed in you can go to that country’s regulator, such as the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority. There is a very good site called Resolver which helps you in taking your complaint further:

http://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/easyjet-complaints

If that also does not help then your final option is to go to the small claims court to get the charges refunded. Obviously this is a last resort and should only be used if you have exhausted all other options.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow should you have to go to the small claims court, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.