29905560

Builder supplied by Tecaz to fit our kitchen has not

Builder supplied by Tecaz to fit our kitchen has not levelled floor correctly now laminate is lifting and moving have been told this will eventually crack also Tecaz kitchen designer and surveyor where told of soil pipe boxed in against wall ( said fitter would work around this ) but they didn't check if it went off in another direction which it does now Tecaz are saying we have to pay for an extra unit to hide this boxing in and pipe. Do I have to pay this for something they should have checked for as for flooring do I have to pay for extra flooring if fitter didn't level floor correctly.
Regards *****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago did the builder complete the work and how long after this did you contact Tecaz regarding the issue please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Builder has not finished yet just sealing of work tops to do Tecaz say it's not their problem as fitter does not work for them only supplied by them
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Constantly in contact with Tecaz

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and

· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).

In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:

1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.

3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader.

So if the job has been done incorrectly or incompetently to start with, you do not have to pay for any remedial work – this should be covered by the other side. You can decide whether you want to pay a proportion only at this stage or hold out until the issues are resolved before making full payment. This would be down to negotiations between you and the other side and what you both agree on.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have should they not resolve the issues and what you can do to take it further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Thank you. In the end, if no resolution can be reached, you have paid for the work quoted but need to pay additional money t get the issues resolved, you can pursue them for compensation to cover that.

Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.