Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was bidding on a caravan on e bay and i lost out to

Customer Question

hi, i was bidding on a caravan on e bay and i lost out to another bidder ? sent a text to the chap and said if the deal fell through he was to contact me, hours later he did and i agreed to buy the van subject to everything being all ok and there was no issues etc,
the price was £9,950 and he said he wanted half the money up front i agreed to this and transffered £5,000 into his account, i am supposed to collect the caravan in tenby in walws on the 9th sept.
however, since then, i have found out a few things i am not too happy with ?
One, the van is not registered with the official caravan registry cris ? i have spoken with them and due to the van being a foreign import, the checks to ensure everything is ok, ie, no accidents, no outstanding hp, the weight etc can take up to 12 weeks ?
I have also found out that due to this i would have difficulty insuring it ?
I spoke with the owner and he is refusing to refund my deposit and insists he is keeping my £5,000 ? can you please tell me where i stand ?
Regards Brian
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If the you told the seller the sale was conditional on you completing a check of the caravan, and the seller never mentioned that the deposit was non refundable, then you are entitled to cancel the sale and have a return of your deposit. If the seller refuse your only option would be to sue him

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/

Do you have his home address?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have his home address, my number is *****
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. In order to serve proceeding you only need a home address. I would recommend you write to him first and say that the sale was conditional and you never agreed to paying a non refundable deposit. Say if he does not return the money with 7 days you reserve the right to take any action available to you include county court action. Kind regards AJ