13262538

My sons ex-girl friend has got herself pregnant around the

My sons ex-girl friend has got herself pregnant around the time they finished saying its his, she has said she wants to keep it having already had a termination when she was 14 1/2 doesn't want another, she has trapped my son who is so upset that she would do this to him, she is 8wks we have been told, He did go to the Doc's with her but did not go in so we don't know what was said. He is suppose to be starting his second year at Uni in 2 weeks and we are worried about his state of mind. She has been saying some terrible things on public sites like Facebook etc which are not helping, she has also said that she does not give a **** about us and will do what she wants, We are suppose to be meeting her family next week to talk I don't want a major fight but need to know what we should say and do. She is only 19 - he 21 we have asked her to terminate but she won't as she is using this pregnacey to get back at my son. I'm at work at the moment so my replies maybe delayed, can you help/advise
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What exactly would you like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I proceed with meeting her family and what rights do we have in this difficult situation, my son does not want anything to do with this girl but now its more difficult with a pregnancey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess you have read the details I originally sent
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

In fact you have no need to meet unless you wish to do so - nor does your son need to be actively involved with her at this time.

Both his responsibilities and his rights only begin when the baby is born.

That is the moment at which he become liable for maintenance (if the child is his) which will be 12% of his gross earned income.

The law says that a child is entitled to ocntact with both parents so if your son does wish to see the child he can try and discuss a pattern of contact with his ex using Family mediation

www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk - and if that fails he can apply to the Court for a Child Arrangement Order

The contact agreed does need to be focussed on the needs of the child - and will change rapidly in the first year as the baby grows.

I am not sure that this covers all that you want - please let me know what further information you need

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you're reply that helps a little but he has still been trapped I know he still has to be responsible too,
At what period can you check if the child is his is it after birth?
I may come back with some more questions if that's ok
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Try and help him not see it this way - after all the baby may not be his

He should ask for a DNA test as soon as the child is born

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks will probably be back for more question
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

That is fine - anytime