Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father has just died and lived in a housing association

Customer Question

my father has just died and lived in a housing association property, the property is a mess and full of junk, my father left no estate and I have paid for his funeral. my question is am I liable for the state of the property or to clear it?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

You can't personally be held responsible for any claim the Housing Assoc have against your Father. If your Father had left monies in his Estate, any claim to clear the mess would need to be paid by his Estate, but as no monies were left, they can't "get blood out of a stone". Of course, it would be reasonable for you to clear the property, and to make sure you have retained all the personal possessions you wish to keep, but there is no legal obligation on you to do this.

I hope this answers your question and sets out the legal position.

If I have helped, please could you rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou for the response, they have written to me but I just wanted some clarification before I responded to there letter