How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70515
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How can i request an adjourment in a crown court case,

Resolved Question:

how can i request an adjourment in a crown court case, listed 09/09/2016 at Lewes court in relation to a confiscation order for my vehicle from the asset confiscation & enforcement team.
My 28 year old sister has just died of cancer (28.08.2016) and the funeral is on the 13/09/2016.
I am not entitled to legal aid and will have to represent myself
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but why does this need to be adjourned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm the only driver in the family and as you can imagine I am taking family members back and too between houses, 30 miles apart. I am only looking for 2 week delay
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand but this isn't a date clash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my issue is that my mother was collating the bank statements, which contain key dates of transactions. I am dyslexic, so can't do this for myself. My mother is grieving and won't find time to do this, as she is now looking after my sisters 3 young children. Other than date clashes is there any other grounds to request an adjournment ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not realistically.

You can always make an application for an adjournment.

The reality is that it is not likely to be granted. This just isn't a clash. It is obviously an event that is sad and nobody would wish upon you but it is not a reason that you can't be ready for the hearing in practice.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Making an application is easy though. You just email the court and CPS with your application and your grounds.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you