ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I am in the process of a separation from my girlfriend and

I am in the process of a separation from my girlfriend and live in a shared rented accommodation which we will just relinquish. When we moved in we had duplicated furniture and kept the best and some of the duplicates but now she says she is allowed 50% of the contents as she has contributed to the household via buying some possessions, buying food, paying for holidays, meals out etc.
What are my rights can is she right and entitled to 50% if she shows contribution or is it whoever bought the property is the owner
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you today.

Please may I ask - do you have children together?

Kind Regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No children and I am only interested in the contents question I have posed at this stage
Mark

Hello Mark

Sorry it may have sounded like a random question - but the answer could have been relevant to the information yoou sought.

If there are any pop ups from the site you can ignore those - they are not sent from me :)

The answer you seek is - are you did not marry and you have no children together - is that you are both entitled to the possessions that you have each bought.

Your girlfriends assertions that she is also entitled to the possessions that you have purchased on the basis that she contributed towards the household bills and shopping etc is simply untrue.

If there are assets that you have jointly purchased then you will have to agree between you who gets that item with the other person being paid for their share.

Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just to conclude if my girlfriend has paid for all of the food, holidays , eating out those amounts cannot be said to allow her to claim contribution against any items I have bought , ownership is strict if you bought it then it's yours , would be the answer
Mark

Hello Mark

Yes you are correct. If you had beem married my answer would have been totally different but as you are not - what you have each bought remains your own possessions.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very concise
Mark

Glad I could help. Thank you for using Just Answer.