Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'd like to make a deed of variation to redirect money from

I'd like to make a deed of variation to redirect money from my late father's will to my children. I've read that, as long as certain conditions are met, this can be done by letter but who do I send that letter to? Is it to the executors of my father's will?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Liz, a Deed of Variation to a will would normally be prepared with the help of the executors and solicitors to your late father's will. Whilst you might express your wishes as to what is to happen in a letter to the executors, it would then be given legal clothes so it satisfies the HMRC. So, at this stage, I would suggest that you send a letter to the executors setting out what you wish to happen to the money you wish to redirect to your children. The executors are the persons who are responsible for the will, so your communication should be with them. Normally, you would direct a letter to the executors care of the solicitor assisting in administering the estate.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply which came to me blurred. Fortunately, I managed to read it. You have answered my question and I do not need further advice.