I signed up for Train4jobs "college" a couple of months ago

Customer Question

Hi, I signed up for Train4jobs "college" a couple of months ago and need to cancel, they are telling me as i am out of the 14 day cancel period and now can't cancel. can you please advise how i can get out of it as i don't want to pay over 7000 for something I don't want and service i wont be getting by cancelling the course. many thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Did you agree cancellation rights?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I signed the registration form which the 14 day cancellation is on.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Is this an online course?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
most of the course is online, there are a number of modules that require attendance for practical assessments.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Is there pressure on places for those?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wouldn't know to be honest, there are only a few locations nationally that you can go to do them and you have to do the full week.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

The short answer is that you are locked into a contract. There is no way around it. You signed a contract that did give you cancellation rights but you did not use them in time.

Leaving without paying would be a breach.

The question is what is their loss. Certainly they could not claim the full sum due under the contract . They do have a claim for the sum of their loss which will be far less than the sum due under the contract. Probably no more than lost profits.

Also, they are under a duty to mitigate their loss by seeking a replacement. If this is an online course then that is a double-edged sword because they can't argue that they kept the place open for you but equally in a course with no pressure on places you cannot argue that they can just replace you.

The reality is that it's quite unlikely that they would bother to sue you for the money but nobody can stamp out the possibility that they could. You could always offer a lesser sum in full and final settlements.

Jo t

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks, ***** ***** be the best way to force them to let me leave, if there something that i can say or quote where i can cancel, I don't mind and accept i will have to pay something and won't get money back but obviously over £7000 is a lot for nothing. Also the payments I make are not directly to them, I believe they use a third party to pay for the course which i then pay from what they have emailed me back they have received this money and obviously are reluctant to pay that money back in order for me to cancel.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If i contacted the third party directly would they be able to get the rest of the money back from them which would then cancel the agreement?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Well, there is an really. Ultimately you are liable. You can't force them not to pursue that. All you can do is hope that they do not for the reasons above.

You could offer a lesser sum in full and final settlement but I wouldn't do that until it becomes clear whether they intend to sue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry can you please advise the best course of action for me to proceed with? should I contact the loan company? should I cancel the direct debit? or should i just persist with the Train4jobs side and tell them i want to cancel and try to find a way with them?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

There are no risk free options.

you should understand that you are taking a risk either way.

If you are intent then tell them you want to cancel and cancel the debit.

If they sue then offer a less sum.