Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If you have fenced off and fully secured a piece of

If you have fenced off and fully secured a piece of unregistered land with a view to gaining title by adverse possession, what legal protection, if any, do you have against any person breaking into this secure property
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear *****, if someone trespasses upon a squatter's title, then you may seek to have them ejected. However, if someone takes possession against your interest, you have no legal recourse. This is because you have no better title than the possession you have. Once your possession ends, your ability to exclude anyone ends as well. Instead, if you seek to re-enter, you become a trespasser and the person possessing the land can now eject you, on the basis you are a trespasser. This is why legal title is so important.

2. So, until you get a possessory title in the Land Registry or absolute title, you need to securely fence off the land and prevent all people trespassing on it. In particular, you need to ensure someone does not come in a deprive you of possession. If you lose possession, you have to re-start the necessary 11 years for adverse possession again. It is for this reason you have to keep out all comers.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. It confirmed what I thought and has given me the direction I need to now take. I am happy with the answer and with this being my first time and being somewhat sceptical , I am now confident to use the site again. Yours John