Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a business meeting on Monday with representatives of

Customer Question

I have a business meeting on Monday with representatives of a company that I have reason to believe have committed an act of fraud.
Would I be correct in making a citizens arrest?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. A citizens arrest is really only allowed where a crime has actually been committed (the police can arrest on suspicion or to prevent a crime). The threshold for proving fraud is so I would let the police deal with this matter. If you arrest this person they are going to claim they have been unlawfully detained and you could be the person that is on the receiving of a criminal complaint. I would simply collect in all the evidence you can and send it to the police or to the Serious Organised Crime Agency. Kind regards AJ