Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

At my late husbands funeral I asked mourners to donate money

At my late husbands funeral I asked mourners to donate money to my disabled grandchildrens school instead of flowers. Monies and at least one cheque were put into a collection plate at the crematorium exit. On two occasions the Funeral Director has indicated that they have spoken to the school and forwarded 2 cheques as the school didn't receive the 1st cheque. Neither cheque ever reached the school and the school secretary has confirmed to me that she doesn't recall ever speaking to a funeral director.I wrote a formal letter of complaint to the company and sent it by registered mail - it was returned to me undeliverable and uncollected by them from the local delivery office. I would be grateful for your advice as to how I can go to the next level.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear *****, Here, I would advise you to get yourself a solicitor and get the solicitor to formally write a letter to the Funeral Director making clear you will sue them to recover the money which has gone missing unless they immediately pay it over to the school. Clearly, someone has misappropriate the monies here and the Funeral Director is putting his head in the sand hoping this will go away. So you need to make clear there will be consequences if honesty does not prevail.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.