12826847

I bought a car in February 2016 then my ex stole it police

Customer Question

I bought a car in February 2016 then my ex stole it police informed he told them that he paid 1/2towards it he never , I have proof that I paid it , it is all in my name , police said I have to contact you what do I do now? From Marion Burkitt
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What are you hoping to do about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want my car back and I will sell it because I have found out he is dealing and selling drugs I want no part of that
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Who is the registered keeper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have notified DVLA that the car is stolen
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. so who is the registered keeper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am everything in my name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the reg keeper everything is in my name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for your advice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You can always sue him for the sum that the car is worth.

Or you can seek an injunction forcing him to return the vehicle but that would cost around £350 and may fail obviously.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The problem here is that there just isn't enough evidence to be sure either way.

If you are the registered keeper then he must have shown some form of evidence to the police to get them to return the car to him. Normally they would return it to the registered keeper without question.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

But either way you paid something and you are entitled to resolution upon that sum.

That would be a small claims court claim though unless this is worth more than £10k.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told thm he paid half , he never I have just got proof from the guy I bought the car from that I paid not him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has no proof at all
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

He must have something or the police would not have taken this action.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I have never known them return vehicles to anybody other than the registered keeper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did, I don't have an English drivers license only an American DVLA have just told me I am allowed to drive for a year he told the police I don't drive ! And at the time it was his word / my word I also have proof that I paid for the car he was also let off for sexually assaulting ME I was badly bruised my doctor has documented all that he stole 800£ from my account which was my mums money that she left me I got end of January he took it a week later I canot believe the police are not helping me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm sure they did.

That would suggest they must have been shown something.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I think probably the police don't believe you when you say that he didn't make payment. If you are saying that you had made several other allegations that were also disbelieved then that might explain it.