LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My daughter is 17 years old and has a provisional driving

Customer Question

My daughter is 17 years old and has a provisional driving license .A few days ago she drove alone and got caught up .She lost her aunti just two weeks ago and has been through a lot of grief and mourning .She will be prosecuted for driving without insurance .I want to know if this special circumstance can help to drop the case or get reduced fine .
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Except in some situations relating to work there is no defence to driving without insurance. However, the personal circumstances in the build up might well help to reduce the level of the fine. Is the bereavement and the lack of insurance connected.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car has insurance on her name as learner but it will be invalid whe she drives alone I guess.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Because of recent bereavement in the last 2 weeks, I guess she has been emotional and quite shocked. She claims it was an emotional response to past occurrences and was at the time, unable to think clearly with regards ***** ***** actions. It's not like her to do something this serious at all and with the situation being so stressful, she full well understands the serious consequences of her actions (she also understood them before the occurrence but not at the time). Is this beneficial to include in the mitigation letter and getting a solicitor involved in this?

OK so this now driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence (fine, endorsement and mandatory 3-6 points on licence) as well as no insurance (fine, endorsement mandatory 6-8 points discretionary ban). She absolutely needs a lawyer to assist her as there is a risk of a ban.

Has she received a court summons or has she received papers in the post iniviting a postal plea?