I live in an a housing association house and the only way to

Customer Question

I live in an a housing association house and the only way to my property is through a courtyard which is shared by other houses,I have my own access to my property through a shared walkway with my neighbour.I currently park my motorbike on my side of the walkway to my property with the consent of my neighbour and have received a letter from my housing association telling me that i now have to park my motorbike in the resident car park that is 400 yards away from my house with no amenities for motorbike parking (nowhere to securely lock my bike etc).The land is owned by the housing association and the car park is used by residents by way of parking permits,however as I have a motorbike and not a car I have no possible way of displaying the permit without it being removed by anyone and therefore would be liable to a fine from a privately run car park monitoring firm.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

Have you raised the issue of the parking permits with the housing association?

Has anyone complained?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have raised this issue and they don't have permits that can be attached to motorbikes,I have talked to my neighbours and they do not have a problem with me parking my motorbike in front of my house.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

What solution are you looking for? To make the housing association allow you to park?

Unless parking of a motor vehicle is specifically allowed in this area, then they are allowed to stop you parking there. I don’t know the terms of your tenancy agreement but they could argue that it’s a breach of the agreement by doing so and give you notice to quit and you would then be faced with arguing in court over the permit.

Why don’t you write to the housing association and tell them that you are happy to parking the car park and display a permit and can they send you please permit suitable to attach to a motorcycle.

I know you’ve already done that, but make sure that you have it in writing.

You may have seen the tax disc holders which have a circular tube where the tax disc is rolled up.

You could put the permit in that and you are still displaying it and if the parking company decide to issue a penalty notice, you would then have to deal with the penalty notice.

Can I clarify anything for you because I’m not certain what kind of answer/solution you are looking for?