How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I live in an a housing association house and the only way to

Customer Question

I live in an a housing association house and the only way to my property is through a courtyard which is shared by other houses,I have my own access to my property through a shared walkway with my neighbour.I currently park my motorbike on my side of the walkway to my property with the consent of my neighbour and have received a letter from my housing association telling me that i now have to park my motorbike in the resident car park that is 400 yards away from my house with no amenities for motorbike parking (nowhere to securely lock my bike etc).The land is owned by the housing association and the car park is used by residents by way of parking permits,however as I have a motorbike and not a car I have no possible way of displaying the permit without it being removed by anyone and therefore would be liable to a fine from a privately run car park monitoring firm.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Have you raised the issue of the parking permits with the housing association?

Has anyone complained?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have raised this issue and they don't have permits that can be attached to motorbikes,I have talked to my neighbours and they do not have a problem with me parking my motorbike in front of my house.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

What solution are you looking for? To make the housing association allow you to park?

Unless parking of a motor vehicle is specifically allowed in this area, then they are allowed to stop you parking there. I don’t know the terms of your tenancy agreement but they could argue that it’s a breach of the agreement by doing so and give you notice to quit and you would then be faced with arguing in court over the permit.

Why don’t you write to the housing association and tell them that you are happy to parking the car park and display a permit and can they send you please permit suitable to attach to a motorcycle.

I know you’ve already done that, but make sure that you have it in writing.

You may have seen the tax disc holders which have a circular tube where the tax disc is rolled up.

You could put the permit in that and you are still displaying it and if the parking company decide to issue a penalty notice, you would then have to deal with the penalty notice.

Can I clarify anything for you because I’m not certain what kind of answer/solution you are looking for?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions