Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I changed my last name in Poland (not through marriage

Hi,I changed my last name in Poland (not through marriage certificate). How do I go about making all the necessary changes in the UK?Thank you!
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are there any official documents in your new surname (eg. Passport?)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi,Not yet, I've requested them and they are currently being made.Do I need to wait for those to be ready before I can change anything in the UK?Thanks!
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

No you do not. You can use any name you want and there is no legal requirement to have a document. However, organisations such as banks, passport office and other official bodies will likely require evidence of your new name and this can be done either through a deed poll application (see here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/overview) or if you complete a statutory declaration for a change of name (you can google for templates) and swear this at a local solicitors.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.