Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

There are two outhouses outside my house, they are connected

Customer Question

There are two outhouses outside my house, they are connected and one is clearly identified on my deeds. However the other appears as unregistered. My neighbour has used the outhouse since I have been in the house (20 years) but have never put a claim in for it. I would now like to purchase the shed. If I traced the original owner (the houses were sold off from a farm in 1953 - all title deeds relate back to the same date) and made them an offer, could my neighbour oppose it?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. First and foremost, I would be very surprised if the other outhouse is not owned by your neighbour (as your neighbour has been living there for at least 20 years, it might be the case that when he purchased, it was not a requirement to register the land). Even if this was not the case and you tracked down and bought it from the owner, your neighbour would have the legal right to apply to the Land Registry for possessory title of the building, if he can show that he has possessed the building, without interruption and dispute from the true owner for 12 years or more. Sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position. If I have helped, please don't forget to rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, I probably was not clear. My neighbours property does appear on the land registry but does not include the outhouse. The outhouse is directly outside my door and set apart from my neighbours. There are 3 properties each which had a WC and outhouse. The outhouse my query refers to is attached to my WC. The neighbours are selling in 12 months. No longer use the shed and are happy for me to pursue purchasing the outhouse. The reason I want to purchase is the adjoined building requires serious repair. Taking down and rebuilding. I can't take my outhouse down without taking the other down also.
I am not prepared to pay for repairs on both unless I own it.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.