How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6944
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

The local council is responsible for the drive at the back

Resolved Question:

The local council is responsible for the drive at the back of the houses in our road. They cleaned it up of fly tippers rubbish and put a gate with a lock on it before I bought the property. The lock has gone missing and fly tipping has resumed. I have spoken to the Environmental agency, council's local MP. I have been promised a lock will be fitted, and the rubbish cleaned up. This has still not happened after 12 months or more of talking to them. Can I take them to court to enforce them to do it?
Many Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****

You cannot sue them as an individual.

Your best (and cheapest ) course of action is your local councillor (not council) , local MP and local freebie newspaper who tend to be desperate for local news stories.

Best regards


Michael Holly and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I do not remove rubbish from land, I am responsible for I get fined. It is council land, so it is their responsibility. The local council can please their selves. . Where in the world can some one or governing body says I do not have to comply, but if you do not we will fine you?I now understand when people say the law is an assThank YouJoe