12826847

Our son (aged 16) was recently coerced (we believe following

Customer Question

Hi, our son (aged 16) was recently coerced (we believe following discussion with him) by an adult into a) joining a political party and b) completing a direct debit mandate to make monthly contributions to that party from his bank account (ie his £10 per week pocket money account). At no point during these proceedings were we as his legal guardians consulted/informed or asked for approval.Is this legal?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking if the contract is enforceable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm asking whether a UK political party's members can coerce 16 year olds into signing up to party membership and monthly financial commitment and without parental consent.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

They don't need to get parental consent. He is 16 and an adult for some purposes.

Whether the contract is enforceable is another matter but there is no duty upon them to inform parents of the choices of their 16 year old.