F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.

I have a big problem. I set up a website showing a fake

Customer Question

I have a big problem. I set up a website showing a fake company in order to get a job. Stupidly I used a real company's number. I was desperate for a job because I had been unemployed for so long. I had an answering machine service set up but I didn't realize that I hadn't paid them in full. They chased the real company for payment who called the police. The police have now contacted me and I don't know what to do.
Please help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please answer - the estimated time has been saying eight minutes for over an hour. If requesting a phone call is causing a delay then I am fine with an answer on the website.Thanks
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

Have you been charged with anything?

Have you been interviewed under caution?

Who was it that you had not paid?

What would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I haven't been charged or interviewed under caution. The police said I would be contacted in a couple of days.
The company that claimed they weren't paid are a virtual receptionist to go along with the fake website. They were paid or I am almost sure they were.
I set up this website in order to give myself a reference when looking for a job. I am qualified to do my job but I left a job three years ago on very bad terms with my employer (the fault was about 50-50) he gave me a terrible reference and I couldn't get another job. I did manage to get one where they didn't call him but he found out and called them and told them I was terrible. As the time I was unemployed got longer no-one was even calling me for interview.
So I was desperate, my partner was also out of work and I decided to set up this website to give myself a fake work history. I used a real companies details (so it would look real) and I set up an answering service. I got a job within a few months (they didn't ask for a reference) and I am still there now. I know this was incredibly stupid but I knew I could do my job well. As far as I know I paid the virtual service in full but they have chased the real company who called the police.
Last night the police came to see me. I had no idea what they were talking about, it was only when there were leaving that they mentioned the name of the fake company and I didn't say anything because I was too shocked. They are going to call me in a couple of day.Will I go to prison for this? Will they tell my current employer? What should I say to the police? I have never been in trouble before and I am scared.Thank you
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

If your employer finds out about this, would probably be instantly dismissed for firstly lying on the application, secondly creating false references and for breach of trust.

It would be gross misconduct.

There is a possibility thatyou would be charged with obtaining goods or services by deception but it would be up to the police whether they decided to pursue that.

What would normally happen now is that you would be asked to attend an interview under caution where you would be told that you could have a solicitor present if you wish. If the police thought that they had sufficient evidence to charge you, you would be charged and it would be dealt with probably in the magistrates court.

Because no one has been financially disadvantaged and you say that you are infinitely capable of doing the job, neither the police nor the employer may be bothered but that decision is up to them.

If you are charged, whilst you have mitigation in respect of the circumstances, you don’t appear to have a defence. Even if successfully prosecuted, you are unlikely to get a worse penalty than a fine and community service.

You would get one third reduction for an early guilty plea.

You will not go to prison. You can put that out of your mind.

Just answer the police questions and if you are interviewed under caution, don’t volunteer anything, just answer their questions. Have a solicitor present. If you don’t have a solicitor, then they will get the duty solicitor for you.

I would actually be surprised if they prosecuted you for this although they may offer you a Formal Caution.

They don’t have to actually tell your employer as such but they may want to interview the employer as part of the overall matter and hence, they may find out anyway.

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you that is reassuring, Should I contact the police or wait for them to call me? Should I get a solicitor of my own or just the duty solicitor? I don't want to lose my job but I don't want them to be dragged into this - is it likely that they will call my employer? Will the police tell me if they are going to? If so I would prefer to just quit.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

I was pleased to be able to help you on the phone. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, just one more thing. Should I call the company that are owed money and offer to pay?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please don't call - I didn't ask for a call but it is showing as confirmed
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

It came through that you wanted a telephone call and hence that’s why I spoke to you.

It gave me your telephone number.

With regard to the money she is owed to the company,then if it is indeed your liability, yes, you need to pay it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I meant don't call a second time. In regards ***** ***** the company should I do it before the police contact me again?Thanks
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

No, I wasn’t going to call a second time. I assumed it was just one request which we did.

If this is money which you owe and which has mistakenly been charged to someone else, but it was for some service which you received, then I would pay it as soon as you can.