How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I paid for a car for my son to use ,he was/is to pay me back

Resolved Question:

Hi i paid for a car for my son to use ,he was/is to pay me back when he can, his name is ***** ***** reg doc,and it is insured in his name,he is now in serious debt problems and will probably go bankrupt, can the sheriffs or receiver claim my car, i have my bank statement showing the money came from my bank
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

How much is the car worth?

How much did you pay for it?

When did you buy it?

Has he paid you any money back?

Is there any finance on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
163;4000, £4750, march 2016, £100 in cash paid back, no finance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am also suing the previous owner for repairs as not as described on ebay ( i have judgement awarded)
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

A motorcar is deemed to be essential to modern living. It would be required to go to work and suchlike. Hence, bailiffs have a limit above which they are allowed to seize the car and that is £1350.

A trustee in bankruptcy just has to have a reasonable limit and they would not normally want a car sold unless it’s over £2000 or so.

The V5 only gives details of the registered keeper and not the owner. It says that on the document.

If your son goes bankrupt, and the issue of the car gets called into question, would need to show the date of purchase of the car and the money coming from your bank account and hence, show that it’s not his car, but your car, and that you simply allow him to use it because he doesn’t have enough money to buy his own car.

The legal proceedings in your name are also pretty persuasive that it’s your car and not your son’s car.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could you just advise me what would happen if a debtor sent the sheriffs in he has no other assets thanks
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

If he has no assets, they can’t take anything. It’s as simple as that.

They cannot force their way in to a property unless the debt is in respect of money owed to the government such as council tax or a fine.

If he has no assets, then the debts die with his bankruptcy.

It doesn’t wipe out arrears of maintenance or student loans, court fines, secured loans, compensation you owe to others in respect of personal injury or death, benefits or tax overpayments or social fund loans.

You cannot be made to pay his debts

F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the sheriffs could not take my car?? have i watched to many tv shows lol, many many thanks for all your help and i will def give you 5 stars regards Geoff

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice