Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I keep getting letters from HMRC demanding outrageous

Customer Question

Hello. I keep getting letters from HMRC demanding outrageous amounts that aren't due. They seem to want to ignore the facts and figures we have and now received a Court Perparation letter for £34000! What do I do?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have they issued a court claim? Does it state a date by which you must respond? Have you been through a tribunal appeal process? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi AJ. No date on the letter - it looks like a letter prior to action. No I haven't been to a tribunal. Only letters and demands so far. I just want them to be accurate. What do I do now?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi thank you. I would write back to them and say you are in the process of obtaining legal advice. If they issue proceedings you will defend them and holding HMRC accountable for your costs. In the mean time write them a second letter and appeal their decision https://www.gov.uk/tax-tribunal

There is a tribunal service for appealing decisions. What type of tax bill is it? Kind regards AJ