Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Have leased a shop for five years in October for the last

Customer Question

Hi have leased a shop for five years in October for the last three years have shared the shop with somebody else have shared the work and have halved the monies. The rent has always been paid by myself it trades under my name things between ourselves has run its course can I ask her to leave how do i stand !
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Does she have her section of the shop that she can look away or do you have access at all times? Do you have any documentation supporting the arrangement? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No she doesn't have any section that she can lock and no there are no written agreements
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi thank you. Your arrangement is one of licensee and licensor - with no written understanding you can potentially terminate the arrangement on notice. How frequently does she pay her share of the rent? Is it monthly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The rent is always paid from my account to the landlord she has never paid any rent to me. We cover the bills to suppliers jointly but the actual accounts are all in my name
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. This is actually technically a partnership - does she trade under the same name as you? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No trades under her own name
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. Do you do you have the same accounts or pool profits at all? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it's all separate
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Thank you. Technically she is there as nothing more than a licensee who pays a minimal fee. I would say based on this arrangement you can remove her, but you would be advised to give her at least a months notice in order to comply with any licence arrangement that exists?